Family Ties May 6 - May 13, 2007
Dear Family,
Your father wanted the thoughts I wrote this Mother's Day to be "our blog", so here goes. Mother's Day 2007
Pondering upon this Mother's Day my heart has been filled with gratitude for two important lessons I learned early on, after becoming a mother. Today for me, has been the most fulfilling Mother's Day; and I have experienced 58 of them since being a mother myself. My heart is full because each and everyone of our children have expressed genuine "heart felt" appreciation for their mother...not that they haven't always honored me and expressed their love, but today their "spirit of love" was dominant and I felt it.
Back in 1952 as the Christmas holiday was approaching and our two little boys, David 3 and Dan 1, ZCMI Wholesale wanted me to serve in the financial department just to help through the Christmas rush. After the rush was over, my boss offered me a substantial raise if I would stay and be Manager of the department. Of course I was flattered to think of my worth to them and also the thoughts of what that extra money would do for us. Anxious to tell Johnny, thinking how proud he would be of me, his reaction took me off guard but put all things in proper perspective. He said he was proud of me and yes, the money could be used to our advantage, but he said: "Wouldn't you rather be known for being loved, honored and known by our children as a wonderful mother?" Those words hit my heart and ran through my mind over and over. . .all through these years.
A second lesson learned was when attending a PTA meeting. David was in second grade and Dan in kindergarten. I was feeling so inadequate as a mother with Ed approaching the two year old stage; Susan a new baby and David and Dan feeling new independence being in school. The speaker was a child psychologist, speaking on how to be a good parent. As he spoke, I felt more inadequate than ever. Everything he said, it seemed as though I was not doing "consistently". At the conclusion of his talk, he said something that changed my entire thinking and enabled me to be the best mother I could be. He simply said: "There is something that will delete your inadequacies, and that is; "IF your children really know YOU love them." I knew in my heart that there was no mother in the whole wide world that loved thier children more than I loved mine. From that night on, I have strived to be the best mother that I knew how and it has been (and is) a "lifetime" (and eternal)quest.
How very "thankful" I am for those lessons taught early on and that I elected to adhere to those teachings the best I knew for today was "payday".
In conclusion of this very special Mothers Day, I simply would like to express my love and gratitude for my eternal companion, the father of the children I was blessed to be their mother, and for the Gift of the Holy Ghost that has and does continually teach me truths to live by each and every day.
Thanks Johnny, for the delicious dinner you cooked me (steak, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, salad & rolls) and for all of our children that made this day special! I hope your day has been as special for you!!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home