Family Ties May 27 - July 15, 2007
M O N T H O F J U N E 2007
Dear Family,
Several months ago at the beginning of the year, Lily lamented the fact that in all her travels to so many places in the world including several trips to Hawaii with T.C., she had never been to the church historical sites. Without giving second thought, I remarked "so why don't we take a trip and see them all?" and she replied how much she would like that. The more we discussed the idea, the more firm our plans became.
Though skeptical Lily's children had with the concern that their mother at 87 could endure such a long trip by car, they began helping her make plans as they saw a new spark of enthusiasm within her. The girls pitched in and bought her a new digital camera and Jim saw that her car (which she agreed would be used) was properly serviced and both the boys provided new tires. Her gracious landlord waved her rent for the month of June and Eileen and Wayne paid in advance the cost of our "bed and breakfast" stay in Nauvoo...a four night stance and a surprise greatly appreciated.
Our children were no less generous as everyone contributed to our trip. We were touched beyond words to express, when a package was placed in our hands by Janessa, which when opened, contained a basket full of money totalling nearly $500. generously donated by all our grandchildren. Julie, who is and always has been, conscious of others needs, (always with us) made contact with siblings and cousins to provide a present for Grandpa and to a Grandma that in all their growing up years, never forgets a birthday or important event in their lives. This contribution removed the financial concern over expensive gasoline and the high cost of motels.
We were fortunate that in key places of our trip, family were available to stay with. In Chicago, Cheryl/Mark and Jill/Andreas were our hosts for three days. In Maine, which was our primary destination, Nancy/Jeff had us for twelve days and finally on our return to Utah, we stayed with Susan/Mike for five days; so better than half our trip's expenses were relieved by LOVING FAMILY.
The cost of gas (as we feared) was high, as much as $3.49 a gallon at one place and averaged about $3.05. Lily's car performed well and averaged close to 29 m.p.g. and was very comfortable and responsive. It is a 1997 Nissan Maxima and prior to this 6,000 plus mile trip had less than 30,000 miles, that's under 3,000 miles per year. Marie wisely insisted taking turns driving every hour and while stopped we all got out for a few minutes exercise. Lily was in charge of being the scribe for our trip.
Accomodations were also expensive and whenever we accepted anything for less than $60. we found it less than desirable. Food...it is amazing how little older people need.
Now to say something about these women...no sweeter dispositions could I have imagined. Marie, as always, was my sweetheart; promoting, expecting and experiencing all the excitement and positiveness of the youthful girl I married sixty years ago.
Lily is cut from the same mold and I see their mother in both of them; never a cross or impatient word in all 36 days. She is generous to a fault and is considerate of everyone before her own needs.
I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge their brother Ed. I always got along with Ross and Lena, and maybe even had a closer relationship with them, but with Ed there has been a closer bond, perhaps because I think we are much the same. I have admired his courage in times of stress and challenge and his patience and kindness to family and friends and especially with Melba. Far and above any of our expectations was his insistance of reimbursing Lily and Marie (with the insurance of Melba's) for the cost of their plane ticket to Melba's funeral.
Now that we are home any reservations I may have had about this long trip were dispelled as we traveled mile after mile across this beautiful country of America. We arrived home on it's birthday, July 4th.
NOTE:
The above writing was written by Johnny. While we arrived at our cabin July 4th, Lily stayed with Kyle/Debbie in Provo. On Sunday, July 8th, I drove Lily's car to Provo and attended church in Kyle's ward before Lily and I started our trip to take she and her car home. We went as far as Twin Falls where we had a great visit with our brother Ed. He amazed us how well he cares for himself and he was a gracious host to us. Monday morning we left Twin and headed for Caldwell. We picked up some rasberries at the berry farm, did some grocery shopping and just collasped that night. Tuesday we put up all the rasberries and that evening Jim & Sherrie brought in a Chinese dinner that we enjoyed eating and having the time to visit. Wednesday, I had an appointment with Craig Smith, Linda's husband. I had chipped of some tooth and hoped it could be repaired. However, it had to have a cap. Craig knows this new technology and he did it at one sitting. First time in years I've had such a good bite. He's a great dentist and "went the extra mile" in being kind financially in his service. Thursday I introduced Lily to her new shopping area that she can drive to easily and then Eileen came over in the afternoon to visit and help Lily with her computer. Friday, the Millar's, (Debbie Blackers family) were coming to a wedding and they brought me home. Bret Millar lives right by David so I was delivered right at my door. Johnny picked me up and we came to our "fresh & cool air" mountain home. I'm grateful for the memories of these past weeks...especially for the "time" with "family".

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home